Surface Book 2 can be already pre-ordered and it comes with a Kaby Lake i7 processor, USB-C and GTX 1050 CPU. Those who want it can choose from the 15-inch and the 13.5-inch versions. The 15-inch version has more powerful specs.
Surface Book 2 (13.5-inch variant) vs. Surface Book: specs battle
Two years ago the Surface Book was released and at that time its internal and external specifications were very attractive. Those who like the model have to compare it with the latest model, Surface Book 2, and see which one they prefer, considering that both models have a starting price of 1,499 $.
- Both laptops have the same display: 13.5-inch Pixel Sense Display and the same resolution: 300 x 200 (267 PPI)
- Other common features are the RAM and memory storage: 8/16 GB of RAM and 256/512 GB or 1 TB of memory storage.
- The two Surface Book laptops have the same sensors: ambient sensors, accelerometers, gyroscope and magnetometer
- Both have IR Cameras
- The Surface Book has Core i5-6300U (3.0GHz dual-core) and Core i5-6600U (3.4GHz dual-core), while the Surface Book 2 has i5-7300U (3.2 GHz dual-core) and Core i7-8650U (4.2 GHz quad-core)
- Surface Book 2 has better native graphics featuring Core i5: Intel HD Graphics 620 and Core i7: Intel UHD Graphics 620; Surface Book has Intel HD Graphics 520
- The discrete Graphics option of Surface Book, 2 has more GBs (2GB) of i7: NVDIA GTX 940M
- Surface Book offers less hours of battery life: 12 hours (5 less than Surface Book 2) and 3 hours of tablet mode (2 hours less than Surface Book 2)
- Surface Book 2 uses Bluetooth Wireless 4.1 technology and Surface Book is one step behind with Bluetooth Wireless 4.0.
The conclusion would be that the differences are not many and only those who use the laptop daily for a long amount of time for gaming or other intense activities might sense the differences.